Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Message from the past

So I just started re-reading my favorite book "On the Road" and realized there was an inscription on the front page. I bought this copy at a used book store and guess never realized it was "autographed" by a previous owner. Anyway here is the inscription:


"3/17/99

Jenn-

Here is hoping everything is well with you + yours. Man, I sound like a card writer! Anyway, I read this + really liked it (not to mention that it's a classic and you can feel intellectually superior to everyone who hasn't read it!). If you haven't read it I hope you like it - but if you have, then I guess you have a nice new copy to keep!

It tends to touch that part of the soul that likes to wander. (for some reason I like wandering?!) But at the same time, it shows what needs to be given up when wandering is taken to the extreme (this is why I liked it - Todd the moderate).

I hope you have a great day. First and foremost Happy Birthday, second and obvious to all, Happy St. Paty's day.

Take care of you,
Todd"


Now I don't know who wrote this, where he was, what he was going through or how he knew Jenn, but something about this just speaks to me. I think it's fitting that someone I got THIS copy, the one where some unknown fellow wanderer wanted to pass along some part of himself to someone he obviously cared about. Sometimes I think karma/fate works in funny ways, and I like to think that it's a sign to keep wandering and keep questioning.

Anyway, if you haven't read this book, do it! It might just change your outlook on life...


No comments:

Post a Comment